Powered by Traffic Nova

    Tuesday, July 10, 2012

    Roger Federer On Top of World Rankings Again

    Federer claimed Wimbledon 2012

    Roger Federer proceeded to the top of world rankings by winning the Wimbledon 2012.

    The Swiss legend grabbed the expectations of beating Andy Murray in an enchanting Wimbledon final, 4-6 7-5 6-3 6-4 to unite his icon Pete Sampras through seven titles at the All England Club.

    It was his 17th Grand Slam title in general, stirring him three ahead of Sampras, and on Monday he will formally get over from Novak Djokovic as world number one for the primary time having preceding been at the top heading into the French Open in May 2010.

    It will be Federer's 286th week on top of the rankings, identical Sampras' record, and he is certain to exceed that score a week on Monday.

    Looking at his sterile Grand Slam sprint, he said: "I see it more as a stepping stone, a period I had to go through as well. To win 90% of my matches throughout the year is impossible every single year. So you're always going to go through ups and downs.

    "But I knew how close I was for the last few years, and some people didn't quite see that maybe for different reasons. But I knew and I think the belief got me to victory today [Sunday]."

    He revealed those defeats played a part in his approach on Sunday, saying: "This one hasn't quite sunk in yet for some reason.

    "I guess I was trying to be so focused in the moment itself that when it all happened I was just so happy that it was all over and that the pressure was gone.

    "There was so much on the line, so I didn't try to think of the world number one ranking or the seventh Wimbledon or the 17th title.

    "I think, for a change, it's going to take much longer to understand what I was able to achieve today. It was crazy how it all happened under the circumstances. I played terrific."

    He said of fatherhood: "I think it's helped my game more than anything because I think I'm playing some of the best tennis of my life right now.
    "The victory today is a dream come true for me and my family, seeing them there. It's big."
    Federer said: "It's hard. I've been there as well. I think he's done so, so well because I see him everyday. I see what he goes through on a daily basis on tour.

    "At Wimbledon I think he handles it so perfectly. I think he's giving himself so many looks at big titles. I really do believe deep down in me he will win grand slams, not just one.

    "I do wish him all the best. This is genuine. He works extremely hard. He's as professional as you can be.
    "Things just didn't quite turn out for him in the finals the way he hoped for. But today I'm sure he got another step closer to a grand slam title. I really do believe and hope for him that he's going to win one soon."

    0 comments:

    Post a Comment